Thursday, November 29, 2012

Editor!

I haven't abandoned ship. Quite the opposite, I have been busy working on the game. We have been working on our level editor for the past month. That is what I have spent most of my time working on. While I think our editor is pretty amazing ( I am proud of what we have made ) there are a lot of problems with it. I'll just come out and say it. The editor is not stable. It will break several different ways.

Part of the issue was that I was trying to edit our level models in a different approach than how Scott had initially set the editor to function. The confusion arose because we basically held two different models of our level in memory at the same time. One model is the loaded file. The other model is the constructed stage and actors from the file. I was editing the file, because it was the first representation I saw. (Clearly not brilliant on my part) Scott was editing the stage and the actors on the stage.  I'd like to think that a lot of the bugs I introduced where from this lack of understanding. (and not my poor programming skills)

I have since conformed and began the process of cleaning up my code to be consistent with the other editing functions. This will hopefully clean up the code, remove some errors and make our editor more stable.

I have spent a good amount of time working on what we've called the properties panel, designed by Shandice. Basically when you select an actor the property panel will show the properties of that actor. A recently added the position and rotation values of actors so they can be set to specific and consistent values. Before I added this it would have been near impossible to set an actor perfectly on the zero plane for the Y axis. I am starting to feel like I am contributing to the project. There is still a lot of work ahead. Tomorrow is another day. I'll try to report more frequently.

thanks,
Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment